- Submitterʼs details
- This submission has been made anonymously
About the submission
- Are you an Australian assessing authority for migration purposes?
- Please select the industry your submission is in relation to. If required, you may select multiple industries.
- Arts and Recreation Services
- Do you have a particular regional interest? If required, you may select multiple regions.
1. Do you consider that occupations need to be added to the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)?
What occupations should be added to the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)?
Please also include occupations that you propose should be moved from the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) to the MLTSSL.
Please outline the evidence or data that would support these occupations being added to the MLTSSL.
A consistent concern is the belief among industry that the ABS categories are struggling to keep pace with emerging technology roles. The IRC identified the following roles in the creative arts industry that are not currently are not adequately filled by domestic workers and would therefore request that these roles be moved from the Short-term Skilled Occupation List to the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List:
• Performing Arts Technicians
• Film & Video Editor
• Sound Technician
• Video Producer
• Artistic Director
• Dancer & choreographer
• Arts administrator
• Music Director
Employers reported difficulty filling these roles despite active efforts to seek local solutions. Additionally, when these roles are filled or someone is identified with these skills, they are highly valued and at risk of poaching. Further, IRC members highlight that the current system does not provide sufficient performance commitment, nor allow for a transfer of skill and knowledge to our domestic developing workforce. As a result, IRC members representing these industries are strong advocates behind moving these occupations from short term to medium term status. This was reiterated by other Members of the IRC.
Data drawn from Industry Employment Projections 2017 report states by the Department of Employment helped to verify industry demand for these roles. For example, it found that employment growth is projected at 9.9% in the arts and recreational services sector, for the coming 5 years above the average for all industries, 7.8%. Further, occupational projections for arts and media professionals show strong projected demand for specific occupations including actors, dancers and artistic directors.
2. Do you consider that occupations need to be added to the Short Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL)?
3. Do you consider that occupations need to be removed from the Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSSL) or the Short Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL)?