0426 XIN CHEN
- Submitterʼs name
- XIN CHEN
- Submitted on behalf of
About the submission
- Please select the industry your submission is in relation to. If required, you may select multiple industries.
- Professional, Scientific and Technical
- Do you have a particular regional interest? If required, you may select multiple regions.
- Regional / Rural
1. Do you consider that occupations need to be added to the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)?
What occupations should be added to the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)?
Please also include occupations that you propose should be moved from the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) to the MLTSSL.
- 271311 Solicitor
Please outline the evidence or data that would support these occupations being added to the MLTSSL.
- According to the survey undertaken at February 2017 by the Australian Department of Employment, There have been consistently large applicant numbers for solicitor vacancies (compared with the average across all assessed professionals) over the past few years.
In 2017, there were 17.7 applicants per vacancy, on average, of whom just 1.8 were considered by employers to be suitable. Similarly large applicant numbers have been recorded annually over the past five years (varying between 14.5 and 22.3), although there were markedly higher average numbers of suitable applicants until 2016 (more than 4.0 per vacancy).
Just 2 per cent of employers did not attract any applicants for their solicitor vacancies in 2017, compared with 7 per cent across all assessed professions.
Despite this strong response to employers’ advertisements, around one third of surveyed vacancies remained unfilled.
2. Do you consider that occupations need to be added to the Short Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL)?
What occupations do you recommend should be added to the STSOL?
Please also include occupations that you propose should be moved be moved from the MLTSSL to the STSOL.
- 351411 Cook
Please outline the evidence or data that would support these occupations being added to the STSOL.
- Occupation Cook 351411 is a seasonal job which may be shortage in a short term and will be filled locally very quickly
3. Do you consider that occupations need to be removed from the Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSSL) or the Short Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL)?
- Do you have any supporting material for your submission?
- Yes (see attachments)
If you have trouble accessing this document, please contact the Department to request a copy in a format you can use.