- Submitterʼs details
- This submission has been made anonymously
About the submission
- Please select the industry your submission is in relation to. If required, you may select multiple industries.
- Other Services
- Do you have a particular regional interest? If required, you may select multiple regions.
1. Do you consider that occupations need to be added to the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)?
What occupations should be added to the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)?
Please also include occupations that you propose should be moved from the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) to the MLTSSL.
Please outline the evidence or data that would support these occupations being added to the MLTSSL.
Recruitment should at the very least remain on the list of skilled occupations and in my view be moved to the medium and long term skills list. Recruitment as a business adds a great deal of value to Australia's economy, employees pay taxes, the recruitment companies pay taxes and we all help Australian citizen's find employment, who in turn pay their taxes.
As the manager of a recruitment business in Melbourne when I employ people I always give the opportunity to people already living in Australia be it Citizens or Permanent Residents to apply and in many cases employing these people. In the rare instance we can't find someone who holds the right to work in Australia we turn to those who have the necessary skills and experience who may require sponsorship, this may be an existing 457 visa holder, someone on a working holiday visa who wants to stay on and add value to Australia or those who are looking to move here from wherever they may be in the world.
I have worked in two separate recruitment companies in Australia and in both cases there is a balance of staff who are Australian and sponsored.
There will be a great number of stories from people from all over the world who have developed their career and life in Australia having arrived on a 457 visa, all contributing a great deal to Australia not only through tax contributions but in its education bringing new ideas and experience to their peers. They have added to Australia’s economic growth and will only continue to do so.
2. Do you consider that occupations need to be added to the Short Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL)?
3. Do you consider that occupations need to be removed from the Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSSL) or the Short Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL)?