- Submitterʼs details
- This submission has been made anonymously
About the submission
- Please select the industry your submission is in relation to. If required, you may select multiple industries.
- Other Services
- Do you have a particular regional interest? If required, you may select multiple regions.
- New South Wales
1. Do you consider that occupations need to be added to the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)?
What occupations should be added to the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)?
Please also include occupations that you propose should be moved from the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) to the MLTSSL.
Please outline the evidence or data that would support these occupations being added to the MLTSSL.
I can tell you these facts as I am not only a recruitment consultant but a rec2rec, (we place recruitment consultants into recruitment agencies around the country.) Our entire business is based on the fact that recruitment consultants are hard to find. Why would other recruitment agencies, who spend all day every day getting other people jobs, want to spend (on average) $15,000 - $20,000 with us per hire if a good recruiter was easy to find? 67% of the placements that we made over the past 2 years were originally from overseas. It's not a matter of preference, if we could find Aussies that wanted to do this job we would snap them up... and so would our clients!!! No client WANTS to pay $5,000 for a 457 visa on top of a $15,000 - $20,000 fee to a rec2rec for finding the candidate.
If the candidate is Australian and doesnt need to be sponsored it is an easier sell for us! Everyone is all round far happier to see an Australian candidates, unfortunately they are not keen on the high pressure roles and are rare. Overseas recruitment consultants DRIVE this industry.
Originally hailing from the UK myself, I came from a recruitment background working for a very large agency in the UK for 6.5 years; moving to Sydney in 2014 I started a role with Barton Mills Recruitment, I was sponsored and have worked for them ever since. I am going through my permanent residency as we speak, I am a huge advocate of Recruitment Consultants staying on the list and definitely being moved to the MLTSSL.
2. Do you consider that occupations need to be added to the Short Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL)?
3. Do you consider that occupations need to be removed from the Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSSL) or the Short Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL)?