- Submitterʼs details
- This submission has been made anonymously
About the submission
Is your organisation an Approved Sponsor for any of the following programs?
- Temporary Work (Skilled) (Subclass 457) visa program
- Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186) visa program
- Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 187) visa program
- Labour agreements
- Are you an Australian assessing authority for migration purposes?
- Please select the industry your submission is in relation to. If required, you may select multiple industries.
- Do you have a particular regional interest? If required, you may select multiple regions.
- Western Australia
- Regional / Rural
1. Do you consider that occupations need to be added to the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)?
What occupations should be added to the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)?
Please also include occupations that you propose should be moved from the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) to the MLTSSL.
Please outline the evidence or data that would support these occupations being added to the MLTSSL.
Feb 2014 37 applicants for the role
Dec 2015 37 applicants for the role
Mar 2017 14 applicants for the role
Oct 2017 9 applicants for the role
This highlights the reduced pool of suitably skilled Driller's available in the market. Such a reduction places upward pressure on wages, and jeopardises the timely completion of critical path exploration (drilling) to find and develop the mines of tomorrow which are a major contributor to the Australian economy.
FORACO has experienced the same trend with the lower skilled Driller's Offsider roles. These are the entry level positions that take up to 3 years to train as Drillers, which inhibits the ability to train and develop internally to meet short term demand.
2. Do you consider that occupations need to be added to the Short Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL)?
What occupations do you recommend should be added to the STSOL?
Please also include occupations that you propose should be moved be moved from the MLTSSL to the STSOL.
Please outline the evidence or data that would support these occupations being added to the STSOL.
The shorter term contracts are mostly associated with Junior Exploration companies, who have traditionally made up 50% of the metres drilled in a buoyant exploration market. The inability to crew drilling rigs for Junior Explorers will impact the ability to find the replacement mines of tomorrow.
3. Do you consider that occupations need to be removed from the Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSSL) or the Short Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL)?