- Submitterʼs details
- This submission has been made anonymously
About the submission
Is your organisation an Approved Sponsor for any of the following programs?
- Temporary Work (Skilled) (Subclass 457) visa program
- Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186) visa program
- Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 187) visa program
- Labour agreements
- Are you an Australian assessing authority for migration purposes?
- Please select the industry your submission is in relation to. If required, you may select multiple industries.
- Do you have a particular regional interest? If required, you may select multiple regions.
- Regional / Rural
1. Do you consider that occupations need to be added to the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)?
2. Do you consider that occupations need to be added to the Short Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL)?
What occupations do you recommend should be added to the STSOL?
Please also include occupations that you propose should be moved be moved from the MLTSSL to the STSOL.
Please outline the evidence or data that would support these occupations being added to the STSOL.
Exploration Drillers (diamond and reverse circulation) are highly skilled individuals and learn their craft through training programs and many years of practical experience. It can take up to 6 years for a deep-hole driller to become fully competent.
Due to the cyclical nature of our particular industry we lose many well trained drillers in the down period of the cycle due to lack of work, and many of these forge new careers and do not return to the industry. We then must start from scratch training new entrants into the industry.
This has a dramatic effect on productivity and the efficiency of the industry resulting in increased costs to our customers who have limited resources with which to explore for the mines of the future.
The industry in general and our company in particular prefer to recruit locally where possible. The Skilled Migration Program is only seen as a gap filler to help cover the fluctuations in employment needs that coincide with the cyclical ups and downs that characterise the drilling industry.
Our company did utilise the SMP at the height of the last "boom" and without it we would not have been able to grow the company and this would have effected our ability to employ many Australians through the cycle.
3. Do you consider that occupations need to be removed from the Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSSL) or the Short Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL)?