- Submitterʼs details
- This submission has been made anonymously
About the submission
- Please select the industry your submission is in relation to. If required, you may select multiple industries.
- Other Services
- Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services
- Administrative and Support Services
- Do you have a particular regional interest? If required, you may select multiple regions.
- Western Australia
1. Do you consider that occupations need to be added to the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)?
What occupations should be added to the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)?
Please also include occupations that you propose should be moved from the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) to the MLTSSL.
Please outline the evidence or data that would support these occupations being added to the MLTSSL.
I came over on a working holiday visa with nothing but a suitcase full of clothes and after a few months of getting to know Perth WA, I picked up a position with a recruitment firm. With both their training and my relevant skills from previous positions, I was eligible to apply for a 457 which was granted thus allowing me to continue to work within a profession which people often fall into as opposed to saying they always wanted to be a recruiter.
I've now completed over 2 years in the industry and I'm still on my 457 with a view to going for permanent residency when the appropriate time comes. I have also been able to set up a life here including buying my own car and renting my own apartment (and buying all the associated furnishings!). I've also met my current girlfriend in this country, and set myself up to continue to succeed within both my professional and private life. This was all possible because of a profession which, in my opinion, has been demoted to the short term skills list. I strongly believe that the profession "recruitment consultant" belongs in the medium - long term skills list due to the ability to change not just the recruiter's life, but also the lives we change for the better by securing real people work.
2. Do you consider that occupations need to be added to the Short Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL)?
3. Do you consider that occupations need to be removed from the Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSSL) or the Short Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL)?