0166 Business SA
- Submitterʼs name
- Business SA
- Submitted on behalf of
- Professional body or industry association
About the submission
- Is your organisation an Approved Sponsor for any of the following programs?
- Temporary Work (Skilled) (Subclass 457) visa program
- Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186) visa program
- Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 187) visa program
- Labour agreements
- Are you an Australian assessing authority for migration purposes?
- Please select the industry your submission is in relation to. If required, you may select multiple industries.
- Agriculture Forestry and Fishing
- Arts and Recreation Services
- Education and Training
- Health Care and Social Assistance
- Information Media and Telecommunications
- Do you have a particular regional interest? If required, you may select multiple regions.
- South Australia
1. Do you consider that occupations need to be added to or removed from the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)?
2. Do you consider that occupations need to be added to or removed from the Short Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL)?
- Added to STSOL
What occupations should be added to the Short Term Skilled Occupation Lists (STSOL)?
Please outline the evidence or data that would support these occupations being added to the STSOL.
- Option box above would not allow me to select the following occupations:
Proof Reader (599913)
Excavator Operator (721214).
Business SA submits the Proof Reader occupation (599913) should be added to the STSOL as members have reported a shortage of proof readers able to meet their requirements. These members publish educational and other highly-specialised materials. Most often, these materials relate to high level mathematic and scientific concepts. They require Proof Readers who can properly proof read manuscripts, but also understand the technical content. Business SA has attached a more detailed explanation of this need and the benefit for South Australia of allowing these skilled workers to be sought through skilled migration.
Business SA submits the Excavator Operator (721214) occupation should be added to the STSOL. Members have reported a shortage of skilled operators, limiting their ability to cater to increased construction demand in South Australia. As above, Business SA has attached a more detailed explanation of this need and the economic potential for South Australia of adding this occupation to the STSOL or ROL.
3. Do you consider that occupations need to be added to or removed from the Regional Occupation List (ROL)?
- Added to ROL
What occupations should be added to the Regional Occupation List (ROL)?
- 133411 Manufacturer
- 212314 Film and Video Editor
- 212317 Technical Director
- 212318 Video Producer
- 241311 Middle School Teacher (Aus) \ Intermediate School Teacher (NZ)
- 342411 Cabler (Data and Telecommunications)
- 342413 Telecommunications Linesworker (Aus) \ Telecommunications Line Mechanic (NZ)
- 411715 Residential Care Officer
Please outline the evidence or data that would support these occupations being added to the ROL.
- Business SA does not have specific evidence to provide in response to this question. However, Business SA takes this opportunity to express our concern that these occupations have been flagged for removal from the STSOL, but not added to the ROL.
Business SA submits occupations should not be removed from the STSOL, but should instead be stepped down to the ROL. This will ensure that where businesses in regional areas do require, for example, a Middle School Teacher, a Manufacturer or a Residential Care Officer they are not prevented from accessing these skills.
Business SA has attached a submission which provides further comment regarding our concern for regional businesses as part of the Traffic Light Bulletin process.
- Do you have any supporting material for your submission?
- Yes (see attachments)
If you have trouble accessing this document, please contact the Department to request a copy in a format you can use.