0149 Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Submitterʼs name
- Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Submitted on behalf of
- Professional body or industry association
About the submission
- Is your organisation an Approved Sponsor for any of the following programs?
- Temporary Work (Skilled) (Subclass 457) visa program
- Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186) visa program
- Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 187) visa program
- Labour agreements
- Are you an Australian assessing authority for migration purposes?
- Do you have a particular regional interest? If required, you may select multiple regions.
- Regional / Rural
1. Do you consider that occupations need to be added to or removed from the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)?
- Added to MLTSSL
What occupations should be added to the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)?
Please also include occupations that you propose should be moved from the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) to the MLTSSL.
- 141111 Cafe or Restaurant Manager
- 312512 Mechanical Engineering Technician
- 351411 Cook
Please outline the evidence or data that would support these occupations being added to the MLTSSL.
- The Restaurant and Catering Industry Association (R&CA) has provided extensive evidence in support of changes to two occupations based on labour market projections and industry research. It is recommended that the occupations of Cook (ANZSCO: 351411) and Café and Restaurant Manager (ANZSCO: 141111) be moved from their current position on the STSOL to the Medium to Long Term Strategic Skilled List (MLTSSL). Chamber of Commerce and Industry WA through members has provided evidence to recommend Mechanical Engineering Technician (ANZSCO: 312512) move from its current position on the STSOL to the MLTSSL.
2. Do you consider that occupations need to be added to or removed from the Short Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL)?
- Added to STSOL
What occupations should be added to the Short Term Skilled Occupation Lists (STSOL)?
- 212312 Director (Film or Television or Radio or Stage)
- 212314 Film and Video Editor
- 212315 Program Director (Television or Radio)
- 212316 Stage Manager
- 212317 Technical Director
- 212318 Video Producer
Please outline the evidence or data that would support these occupations being added to the STSOL.
- Our members Screen Producers Australia and Live Performance Australia, have in their submissions provided evidence to support the retention of Director - Film, Television, Radio or Stage (ANZSCO: 212312), Film and Video Editor (ANZSCO: 212314), Program Director - Television or Radio (ANZSCO: 212315), Technical Director (ANZSCO: 212317), Stage Manager (ANZSCO: 212316) and Video Producer (ANZSCO: 212318) on the STSOL. We reiterate their position on these occupations remaining on the STSOL.
3. Do you consider that occupations need to be added to or removed from the Regional Occupation List (ROL)?
- Added to ROL
What occupations should be added to the Regional Occupation List (ROL)?
Please outline the evidence or data that would support these occupations being added to the ROL.
- Although as a peak body we have no specific evidence to put forward on other occupations identified for removal from the STSOL, the proposal to remove occupations such as Telecommunications Linesworker, Chemical Plant Operator, Middle School Teacher and Cabler (Data and Communications) without any suggestion of moving them to the regional list is questionable. To deny these occupations access to temporary migration is of concern, but to deny any opportunity for regions to fill their skill needs either temporarily or permanently (given they currently have access to these occupations for permanent migration via RSMS) is even more questionable.
On the basis of the lack of any contradiction to the earlier announced plan to eliminate the RSMS, the draft traffic light bulletin would indicate that the DJSB has not identified any occupations on the RSMS list to shift onto the ROL; and has only identified two occupations to shift from the STSOL to the Regional Occupation List. It is hard to believe that an analysis of regional permanent migration needs has resulted in none of the 465 occupations on the interim RSMS list being considered for access, either directly or via temporary pathways, to permanent migration.
- Do you have any supporting material for your submission?
- Yes (see attachments)
If you have trouble accessing this document, please contact the Department to request a copy in a format you can use.