0136 Association of Heads of Independent Schools of Australia (AHISA)
- Submitterʼs name
- Association of Heads of Independent Schools of Australia (AHISA)
- Submitted on behalf of
- Professional body or industry association
About the submission
- Is your organisation an Approved Sponsor for any of the following programs?
- Temporary Work (Skilled) (Subclass 457) visa program
- Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186) visa program
- Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 187) visa program
- Labour agreements
- Are you an Australian assessing authority for migration purposes?
- Please select the industry your submission is in relation to. If required, you may select multiple industries.
- Education and Training
- Do you have a particular regional interest? If required, you may select multiple regions.
1. Do you consider that occupations need to be added to or removed from the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)?
- Added to MLTSSL
What occupations should be added to the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)?
Please also include occupations that you propose should be moved from the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) to the MLTSSL.
- 134311 School Principal
- 134499 Education Managers nec
- 139999 Specialist Managers nec
- 241213 Primary School Teacher
- 241311 Middle School Teacher (Aus) \ Intermediate School Teacher (NZ)
- 249111 Education Adviser
- 272115 Student Counsellor
- 272199 Counsellors nec
- 411715 Residential Care Officer
Please outline the evidence or data that would support these occupations being added to the MLTSSL.
- In the supporting document uploaded to this submission, AHISA sets out the results of a 2017 survey of its members. The survey showed that independent schools rely on overseas recruitment for hard-to-staff curriculum areas or to support the provision of specialist curriculum, or to fill senior leadership and boarding house positions. A survey of members undertaken for the Independent Review into Regional, Rural and Remote Education confirmed that overseas recruitment is a common strategy used to attract staff to regional and independent schools.
AHISA's 2017 survey also revealed that overseas recruitment of staff supports schools' ability to engage in strategic education export ventures.
2. Do you consider that occupations need to be added to or removed from the Short Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL)?
3. Do you consider that occupations need to be added to or removed from the Regional Occupation List (ROL)?
- Do you have any supporting material for your submission?
- Yes (see attachments)
If you have trouble accessing this document, please contact the Department to request a copy in a format you can use.