0035 Pavarotti's Italian
- Submitterʼs name
- Pavarotti's Italian
- Submitted on behalf of
About the submission
- Is your organisation an Approved Sponsor for any of the following programs?
- Temporary Work (Skilled) (Subclass 457) visa program
- Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186) visa program
- Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 187) visa program
- Labour agreements
- Are you an Australian assessing authority for migration purposes?
- Please select the industry your submission is in relation to. If required, you may select multiple industries.
- Accommodation and Food Services
- Do you have a particular regional interest? If required, you may select multiple regions.
1. Do you consider that occupations need to be added to or removed from the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)?
- Added to MLTSSL
What occupations should be added to the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)?
Please also include occupations that you propose should be moved from the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) to the MLTSSL.
- 141111 Cafe or Restaurant Manager
- 351411 Cook
Please outline the evidence or data that would support these occupations being added to the MLTSSL.
- It is impossible to find good qualified or experienced Australia staff, especially who can cook authentic Italian food.
The Australians that come for interviews expect to be paid well over the average and do not work hard enough to warrant being paid a high wage.
Most of them are also unqualified and are just looking for a 'job' to get by. As a restaurant owner, I do not want staff who do not care about their jobs. Italian food is about passion and care and I cannot find that in local employees.
I am now working 6 days a week, just so my business can survive. I fill positions at the moment with working holiday visa holders or student, and unfortunately as you know, 6 months they are gone or I can only give 20 hours work.
I am not alone in this, many of my friends in the industry are struggling with the same issues.
If we could sponsors cooks again long term, it will bring the Italians back. They do not want to come here work 2 years and go home, they are looking to build their careers and lives here. No one wants to come and spend 2 years of their lives busy working, only to be told to pack their bags and go home after.
2. Do you consider that occupations need to be added to or removed from the Short Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL)?
3. Do you consider that occupations need to be added to or removed from the Regional Occupation List (ROL)?
- Added to ROL
What occupations should be added to the Regional Occupation List (ROL)?
- 351411 Cook
Please outline the evidence or data that would support these occupations being added to the ROL.
- Do you have any supporting material for your submission?
- Yes (see attachments)
If you have trouble accessing this document, please contact the Department to request a copy in a format you can use.