0003 Michael Moynihan
- Submitterʼs name
- Michael Moynihan
- Submitted on behalf of
About the submission
- Please select the industry your submission is in relation to. If required, you may select multiple industries.
- Health Care and Social Assistance
- Please identify which occupations your submission relates to:
- Certain categories of occupations (eg professionals, managers or tradespeople)
- What occupation categories does your submission apply to?
1. Are there additional labour market factors, for which there are national datasets available (ideally aligned to 6-digit ANZSCO occupation level), that are relevant to future refinements to the Departmentʼs analysis and methodology?
What is the frequency of data release?
- Annual DoH GP Statistics usually in December last January 17. MBS statistics August 2017. AIHW Medical Workforce last 2016 for 2015. Medical Training Review Panel annual reports last October 2016 for 2014-15 for DWS and other statistics. 2015 selected DoH statistical analysis purchased from DoH available from this author, ABS 3218.0 and population clock, OECD biennial Health at a glance Nov 2015 table 5.2 and allied database for Australian excess medical workforce expansion. From these can be extracted numbers of immigrant GP and specialist doctors currently in DWS, examination passes, on-flow into capital cities, servicing patterns, effect on medical services per capita, calculation of workforce excess, evidence of over-servicing etc.
2. The Department is also seeking submissions on suitable datasets that are disaggregated by region. Please provide details if you are aware of such a dataset, including whether it is aligned to ANZSCO occupations and how often the dataset is updated.
- The national minimum dataset (NMDS) for doctors in ASGS RA 2-5 is reported annually by Rural Health Workforce Australia but captures only 85% or so of doctors accessing medicare rebates.
3. Is there any other advice or evidence that the Department should consider in its review of the methodology?
- The Australian Population and research Institute TAPRI articles by Birrell ( Moynihan occasional associate author). 2014-16 SOL submissions from Moynihan.
- Do you have any supporting material for your submission?
- Yes (see attachments)
If you have trouble accessing this document, please contact the Department to request a copy in a format you can use.